Can't get website on-line

Starduster 15:55 29 Nov 07

I designed a new website so that I can rent a couple of cottages out, nothing fancy just used Micrsoft Office Live Basic. Well that was OK but it doesn't appear on any search engines no matter how specific I make the search. Someone suggested I use Google Webmaster, fine I thought, but I can't make it work. It says and I quote: "We offer two methods of verification. You can either upload an HTML file with a name we specify, or you can add a meta tag to your site's index file. Choose your preferred method below." I'm not dumb really and I can follow instructions but I can't upload an HTML file because I don't know where it goes and I'm not sure what to do with a metatag. I could really do with some assistance from someone who knows about this stuff. Apologies if this has already been asked I did search the forum but nothing came up. Thanks

BurrWalnut 16:03 29 Nov 07

Save me explaining it click here

crosstrainer 16:16 29 Nov 07

Has explained the meta tag option, have you uploaded the finished site at all? Your ISP will usually allocate you a certain amount of space, though I fear that since you are using the site to advertise a product they may charge you for the service.

Starduster 09:50 30 Nov 07

Thanks for that, I now understand(!) metatags but how do I access that part of my website to add/change them. If you haven't used Microsoft Live Basic it works mre like Power Point in that you don't have to know how it works to use it, it has tools to change font, colour, drop in photos etc. so all of the construction & design elements are available in an easy to use format. Yes our website is live, I can type in the address directly on my web browser and it comes up OK. It just does'n't get found by any search engine, not just Google although that is the one I was trying.

johnnyrocker 10:49 30 Nov 07

maybe web design could be of more help.

johnny.

DieSse 11:58 30 Nov 07

You can't MAKE a site be found by Google - it may be found and listed eventually.

The more links to and from other sites you can get, the higher the chances it will get found by the Google searcgh robots.

DieSse 12:01 30 Nov 07

I should have added - the words that people use to search for holiday properties will give them lots of hits - for instance a search for "holiday cottages" gives 252,000 hits.

So don't expect ever to get on the first few pages - only luck - a lot of work and/or a lot of money will get you that.

Starduster 12:55 30 Nov 07

OK understood thanks for all your replies guys, sorry to bang on about this but the website does not come up at all. I was VERY specific about the search ie, listed self catering, the village where the cottages are etc. etc and searched all 113 websites and ours did not list at all. Surely it should have come up even if it was close to or at the bottom. I even typed the web address into the search "box" and it didnt find it! Is there nothing I can do that won't cost a fortune with no guarantee of success?

crosstrainer 12:59 30 Nov 07

Say's, you can't force this..If you are sure the site is uploaded, and online (you can access it via the web, and NOT via a preview, then time is what it takes. Making a site unique in order to appear is difficult these day's

DieSse 14:06 30 Nov 07

It doesn't matter how specific you are - if Google hasn't found and indexed it yet, you'll just have to wait.

Look in Google to see if you can submit it for inclusion - even then that won't absolutely guarantee it.

Starduster 14:40 30 Nov 07

Yup, that was my first question actually!!! You submit it to Google using their webmaster tools but they..... well see first question !
Thanks so much you are all still being so helpful in answering my dozy questions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017