Can't get USB ports working in Win98SE

Tiscali 05:48 15 Aug 05

I have had to put a new hard drive into a Daewoo CT630 (model DW2867) which has a Daewoo CB648X-BX motherboard with two built-in USB ports. I have installed Win98 SE, which is what was installed when new, but haven’t got the original system/driver disks.

Regarding USB, everything looks fine in Device Manager:

+ Universal Serial Bus controllers

Within that two devices are listed:

- Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
- USB Root Hub

Devices status says that the Intel 82371AB/EB is working properly and no conflicts are shown.

However, when I insert a USB flash pen drive I get:

Add New Hardware Wizard
This wizard searches for new drivers for USB disk .....

It can’t find any drivers on the Win98 SE CD.

I haven’t tried any other type of USB device yet, only a flash pen drive.

According to Microsoft Knowledge Win98 SE should automatically support USB. Does anyone know how to get the built-in USB ports working?

Completealias 06:12 15 Aug 05

This page here should be of some help click here

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 06:22 15 Aug 05

there is a usb enable in the bios have you tryed there ,there in there some where

€dstowe 06:30 15 Aug 05

If I remember correctly, although W98SE recognises USB it is necessary to install drivers for the device you wish to use. Did you get a driver disk with the flash drive?

GRFT 08:03 15 Aug 05

If you haven't got the driver disc try downloading a driver from click here

Batch 09:21 15 Aug 05

You'll find that many USB devices require drivers, but as most people use WinXP, the installation of them is mostly automatic as WinXP comes with drivers (many of them 3rd party supplied) that support most devices (not just USB devices). Microsoft include the drivers from a vast range of manufacturers. This is done to smooth the whole experience.

Earlier versions of Windows came with much less in the way of drivers included as part of the package and so it is often necessary to get the drivers from separately supplied disks or other sources.

Diemmess 09:49 15 Aug 05

W98SE needs drivers for each and every USB device...... W2K and XP recognise a USB device automatically, once the rest of the system is settled. Some old mobos need a card inserted to be able to use the faster USB 2.

BlueMeanie 18:30 16 Aug 05

I use USB Memory Sticks extensively at home and at work on numerous PC's.

Your Windows 98 PC is working AOK, as the PC asks for the drivers when the stick is inserted.

You will need the driver either supplied with the stick (unlikly !) or via their website (the Windows 98 CD does NOT contain the required driver).

PS Windows XP has all the necessary drivers already for memory sticks, and therefore does not required your intervention.

Regards

woodchip 18:33 16 Aug 05

You need to know what the Motherboard is so drivers can be downloaded for the Mobo

Tiscali 06:44 13 Sep 05

I can confirm that in Windows 98 SE the driver for EACH USB flash pen drive must be installed. The pen drive didn't come with any drivers but I found the pen drive manufacturer's web site in China, downloaded the driver, and it works fine. Thanks for all the replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…