Can't get sound in through "line-in" socket

TimCDC 21:32 29 Sep 03

I?m trying to run my turntable through my computer, so that I can use LPRecorder to burn my old LPs to CD. Trouble is, I can?t get my computer to recognise the audio input from my amp. I know the amp is working, and I am using a cable to run from the phono output from my amp and into the line in socket on my sound card (a standard mini-jack). But no sound through my speakers. Its not a fault of LPrecorder as I can?t get sound recorder to recognise any input either. I have been into Volume Control and enabled line-in, but still can?t get any sound played through my computer speakers. Strangely, though, although I can fiddle with levels for e.g. stereo mixer, line in, mic, the recording slider is greyed out?.Is there something else I should have done? (I know the speakers are working as they work in other applications, in media player etc.)

Rtus 21:39 29 Sep 03

check in Settings >Control Panel > multimedia for audio setting are selecting your audio card ! assuming its W98se ??

Peverelli 00:32 30 Sep 03

Which version of Windows and what is your sound card? Seems like you need to enable recording on a setting somewhere.

TimCDC 08:32 30 Sep 03

Thanks for these. I believe my sound card is VIA AC '97, and it is enabled for both recording and sound playback in the sounds and audio devices dialog box. I'm running XP with SP1 - I noticed on another thread that the VIA card may have some problems with SP1 - would this be connected?

Peverelli 10:59 30 Sep 03

Have you gone through the Control Panel route (Control Panel > Sounds & Audio Devices)? Isn't there a way of enabling recording there, as the recording slider shouldn't be greyed out? Also, have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the sound card to see if this will solve the problem?

Another suggestion, try recording from the headphone socket of the amp as (I could be wrong) this'll have a stronger output than your phono socket. You'll obviously need a different cable to do this.

Chegs ® 11:06 30 Sep 03

I had similar troubles with Line-in on AC97(installed TV card,but couldn't get any sound from it)I "cured" mine by installing a Creative SB card(having disabled AC97 in BIOS)as no matter which driver/settings I selected my onboard audio refused to "recognise" the line-in socket.I also found that the Mic socket was picking up strange noise which was stopping Dragon Naturally Speaking from working(I couldn't "train" it as puter couldn't "hear" my voice for the noises)

Gongoozler 11:06 30 Sep 03

TimCDC, VIA AC'97 is usually integrated into the motherboard, and in my opinion is about the worst sound card you can get. You would do much better to get a pci sound card. They are available at prices under £5, and even a C-media based card at about £3 is better than AC'97. click here

SEASHANTY 11:37 30 Sep 03

When you bring up the volume control window panel for various slider adjustments check the top left hand side of the window. Is there a line that lists "OPTIONS". If there is click it and a new window should open with the option to select either "playback" or "recording".

TimCDC 17:02 30 Sep 03

Seashanty - I've checked the options bit, and I'm definitely in the recording dialog - still greyed out on the slider, though. I've also tried, Peverelli, plugging into the mic socket (even though I know the sound won't be quality) and can't get anything there. I guess the two remaining options now are uninstalling and reinstalling the card, or getting a new one. Before i do the second, can anyone advise me how to do the first? Really grateful for all the help so far...

Gongoozler 17:44 30 Sep 03

Hi TimCDC. In Device Manager (For Windows 98, Right click on "My Computer", select "Properties, and click on the Device Manager tab), find Sound, video and game controllers. Click on the + sign to expand the list and select your AC'97 sound card. Right click and select Remove. Alternatively you could download the latest drivers and instead of selectin Remove you could select Properties, Driver, Update driver. I recently rebuilt a computer using a motherboard with AC'97 sound and after trying all the options I could think of including various updated drivers I just put in a cheap C-media based card and had no problems at all.

Chegs ® 18:08 30 Sep 03

I have had three previous mobo's,all came with AC97.I always used onboard(connected to my Hi-Fi)and only had trouble when I got this Gigabyte m/board.I was able to use all three sockets on my Epox(Line-in/Mic/Output) including Dragon with several different mics.Seems to be a prob with latest AC97 drivers(especially when adding software for DVD/CD/MP3 playback)I only installed a SB card as I couldn't get TV card to work without.I had owned the SB for 18mths,but it was living in my daughters puter,as my Epox mobo steadfastly refused to live with the SB(soon as audio was fed into SB,puter locked up and a scream emitted from the speakers)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…