Can't get sidebar back on...

DANZIG 00:17 08 Feb 08

Hi.

I disabled the sidebar a while back on my laptop (Vista Home Premium).

Now I can't get it back on!! I go into control panel and navigate to the bit where it says about sidebar, but every time I click on anything to do with the sidebar, nothing seems to happen.

Also I've noticed the little icon for sidebar that used to be in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen has gone.

Help?!

MCE2K5 00:19 08 Feb 08

Try this,

How to Enable Sidebar in Windows Vista
Go to Program Files - > Windows Sidebar - > sidebar.exe

MCE2K5 00:23 08 Feb 08

How to Enable Windows Vista Sidebar to Run On Boot or System Starts, click here

DANZIG 00:27 08 Feb 08

MCE2K5 - Gone to that folder but can't seem to see an .exe file in it. The text in that area of control panel looks like it can be clicked (mouse pointer turns into a hand), but when its clicked, nothing happens.

DANZIG 00:42 08 Feb 08

MCE2K5 - Gone to that folder but can't seem to see an .exe file in it.

The text in that area of control panel you mention looks like it can be clicked (mouse pointer turns into a hand), but when its clicked, nothing happens.

DANZIG 06:14 08 Feb 08

Right, quick update.

Managed to find that sidebar.exe and even managed to get it down into the bar at the bottom of the screen.

I can't open / run the program though.If I double click on it, the timer comes up for a second or two making out the PC is doing something then...nothing.

I've tried right clicking then clicking on 'Run as administrator' and the same thing happens as detailed above (after the warning box comes up on which I select 'allow')

What is going on??

DANZIG 06:22 08 Feb 08

I even thought it might be the fault of some program I downloaded a while back (sidebar styler), so I've uninstalled that - still no joy though..

ened 07:15 08 Feb 08

Is it possible to do a System Restore to before you installed that program?

anskyber 08:31 08 Feb 08

Are you using Google desktop by any chance? If so it can be enabled from there.

DANZIG 17:56 08 Feb 08

System restore sounds kinda scary - what does it actually do??

I'm not using Google Desktop.

anskyber 17:59 08 Feb 08

It takes you back to a time when the system was stable. It is quite straight forward but can at time take up to 40mins.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced