Can't get sharp image from DVD. Mystified.

Mary Barton 10:33 01 May 03

New Computer-ATI Radeon 9500/9700, NEC 1560 monitor supposed to support digital but only get fuzzy picture. DVI-D cable apparently makes no difference. Do I need analog and digital cables together? Completely mystified. Can anyone help?

-pops- 10:36 01 May 03

Magic words - New Computer.

If it isn't working as it should, complain to the supplier. It is entirely their responsibility to get it working properly.

Brian

Jonathan314159 14:06 01 May 03

Haven't had this problem, but you can have my thoughts for what they are worth. Think your monitor is LCD. From various reviews I have read, i doubt the issue is the cable (ie I can't get a clear opinion as to how much digital link improves things compared to analogue).

However it might be the resolution - as I understand it LCD monitors have a "native" resolution at which they perform best, probably 1024x768 in your case. If they're not at this resolution you get a worse picture.

Doesnt cost anything to tinker with the resolution anyway

DieSse 15:23 01 May 03

This won't help you get a clearer picture - but will answer your questions - No you don't need both cables together. The DVI solution is technically superior - but in practice analogue signal handling is pretty good on most monitors, so you shouldn't see any significant difference, particularly on DVDs.

The suggection re resolution is a good one to try - see if you can set your DVD player software to the monitors native resolution (the monitor handbook should tell you what it is).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…