can't get to setup screen??

mesmd 08:52 16 Nov 07

Hi you guys,

Last week my HD began making some clicks and taps on a HP presario 794 C Desktop. It was too late to backup any newer data.
My recoverey partitition was gone and unrecoverable also on the C: drive as the D: partition. I called HP and purchased a new set of 794 c Presario Recovery Disks. Ironically during their installation with a new replaced HD., there were noted 3 different corrupt files on the CD recovery set of 8 CDs. I still used the re try option when a file could not be read from the CD and got the"Recovery Created??? (obviously in error)!

Not surprisingly the files that were corrupt prohibited the faulty D: partition from properly installing Win Xp Home to my new C: drive when recovery finished.
I called HP and they are sending me a new set of recovery CDs!

While waiting I was able to buy a new Win XP PRO CD in it's box. I had set the bios before to CD as the first boot device for the partition CDs after the Bios setup.

Now when I try to boot, with my new CD of Win XP PRO, I got a setup screen that has the F1 for setup and the F10 for Recovery but nothing happens. IT just stays locked up in that screen. I know all my cables, power supply, and memory are properly installed but I can not get past this screen? I have never faced this kinfd of problem with previous computers. The setup had just worked after the faulty CDs were recovered imprporerly on a different Hard Drive. This was a 3rd new Hard drive just as the second, a Maxtor ide compatible with this MB, Bios, Model and acceptable by HP.
What do I do? Now I can't even get to the setup screen to see that all is well for booting off my newly purchased Win XP home CD?

Do I have a suddenly bad small round cmos battery that needs replacement? Is my MB dead? I can hear my PS and Fan. I am going crazy and promise to never buy another HP computer ever!!!

Thanks for any -all help and ideas. It could be my old age and intermittent stupidity?

Sincerely,

Miles
Please Help?

Miles

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5