can't get into safe mode

Sethhaniel 13:16 14 Nov 05

xp home sp2 - hangs on selection screen so no way of selecting safemode - pressing escape and windows opens as normal - tried msconfig diagnostics - but computer very slow and windows explore didn't work (ie not responding)-

i'd downloaded new microsoft Windows 'Malicious Software Removal Tool' which runs ok on other machines but hangs on this pc - so tried to get into safemode to run it - with no luck - and under diagnostics mode it hangs at same place
(have re downloaded tool but that also hangs in same place)
spybot - avg - & antispyware find nothing amiss
any ides.

ACOLYTE 13:23 14 Nov 05

Pressing F5/F8 usually gets you to safe mode screen before windows boots.

Sethhaniel 13:30 14 Nov 05

quote : hangs on selection screen so no way of selecting safemode - pressing escape and windows opens as normal -
Next ;)

ACOLYTE 13:43 14 Nov 05

Boot with the windows cd and try a repair?.

rawprawn 16:34 14 Nov 05

G'day Seth, that's a real wombats willie you've got there. Have you tried a system file check?

Ancient Learner 17:13 14 Nov 05

I wonder if this could possibly be related to my problem concerning the same updates. click here

Sethhaniel 08:41 15 Nov 05

rawprawn - "strange expression, bruce"
yep SFC with xp disc in which it kept asking throughout the run for 'retry' and then finished without a 'by your leave' and without letting me see the results -
sounds like somethings already got the computer in its grasp an is denying the attempts too get rid of it ?
repair option still to try !!
;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…