cant get printers to share

SANAP 22:32 16 Dec 06

Want to share a printer with laptop, have 2 pc's one upstairs 1 down, all have xp pro but when i go through the process and search all i get is microsoft windows network.

lost

sanap

LastChip 22:40 16 Dec 06

I assume you have the printer connected to one of the computers.

First; have you shared that printer?

Second; have you loaded the drivers for that printer onto the second machine?

SANAP 23:00 16 Dec 06

a printer on each desktop pc, no drivers on laptop
i have gone through the process of sharing the printers, i thought no need for drivers!!!

thanks for reply

sanap

LastChip 23:23 16 Dec 06

The best way I've found so far, is to install the printer drivers on the laptop as though it were connected directly to the printer(s). Ignore the "Print Test Page" at the end (as you don't yet have a printer to print to!).

Re-boot the laptop and then remove the printers from the Printer Folder. All that will do, is remove the registry entries for the Printers and they will disappear, but the drivers will remain on the machine.

Re-boot once more and then use the Printer Wizard to "Add a network Printer".

You should then find you can browse to the printer and the wizard will sort the configuration out for you.

If you still have a problem, make sure "File and Printer" sharing is installed and that the XP Firewall (if you're using it) allows that service.

SANAP 00:23 17 Dec 06

thanks got them working but i tried so many things not sure waht worked but I think by changing to xp firewall on all did the trick.

anyway pleased, took a good few hours but hey it was fun.

can surf in every room now.

sanap

>steve< 15:41 18 Dec 06

last chip is correct the second computer does indeed need the printer drivers installed.install these drivers and make sure you share the printers this should solve your problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…