can't get portable drive to work.

loopylou1 12:11 31 Oct 13

I recently bought a Toshiba 500gb portable drive and it has worked perfectly up to now. When I plug it in to any of the USB ports on my desktop and click on 'computer' to show the drives it doesn't appear as a plug in drive. It used to be immediately showing as 'Toshiba drive' but now nothing. I have tested a memory stick in the USB ports and that is immediately recognise and I have tested the Toshiba drive in my laptop and that is immediately recognised. I am baffled as there doesn't appear to be anything wrong yet it won't work on my desktop. Is it something I have done to the system to stop it working please?

Woolwell 15:14 31 Oct 13

Have you re-booted the desktop?

chub_tor 16:27 31 Oct 13

With the usb drive plugged in right click on MyComputer and click on Manage, then click on Disk Management. Scroll down and let us know if you can or cannot see your USB drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:56 01 Nov 13

Refresh USB Ports Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry click here device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB, reboot the PC let Windows find and install new hardware. Your equipment should now be recognised.

or In

woodchip 22:00 01 Nov 13

If you just unplugged the drive after you had done using it, it may be corrupted. When removing any USB storage drives they have to be removed by using the Safe Removal Icon in the System Tray near to the clock

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…