Can't get norton Internet security to work

Mike_R 12:43 03 May 04

I've recently put in WinXP as a new installation and have tried to install Norton NIS three times. The auto-protect is always off, despite whatever I do. Also it shows Email scanning error and all email fails on an error message 0x800CCC0E. Plus I can't get out on the WEB. When I take NIS out, I can't raise symantec on the WEB.
As a first step, should I reload WinXP and do I just bung the CD in again?
The NIS pre-install scan came up with two files infected by W32.Blaster.worm which it deleted. I saved on CD a few files from Program Files in Win98 and once when I accessed them in My Documents under WinXP,I got all my old Win98 program files as well.

kalstras 14:30 03 May 04

Goto
click here
and do an online virus scan fist then try using the program

Mike_R 16:58 03 May 04

Tried to do as above but got nowhere. The program kept on saying that I needed to set various ActiveX settings which were already set. I assume that WinXP loads Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or over.

Mike_R 23:23 03 May 04

I reloaded WinXP using NTFS and started afresh. Fingers crossed, I'm now OK.

GaT7 00:46 04 May 04

NIS can be quite troublesome at installing properly at times. Before you install follow the instructions here to minimise problems - click here.

Another common problem is when you're trying to remove/uninstall NIS (after a failed/dodgy install) but cannot do so - click here.

Some more tips (if you need them): click here.

If you managed to install with no problems, you're lucky - ignore the above. If you have similar problems in the future you'll have the links to look at & t'shoot accordingly. Good luck, G

I am an Windows XP Professional (5.1) with Outlook (OEM) 2002 (10.2627.2625) user and cannot get me OUTLOOK email to work.

Recently purchased a new computer - and a new version of AVG 7.0. Previously used Norton for anti-virus protection with no problems.

I have copied all of the settings across (POP3 / SMTP etc.) and ALSO have found the help screen in the AVG program that tells me about setting up a 'new server, including: Server Port (5200) and POP3 (127.0.0.1) - I have changed these, but still have a problem when I test the settings from Outlook:

"Unable to connect to the incoming mailserver (POP3)..."

AVG's instructions for Outlook 2002 do not seem to be very clear - and do not follow the ACCOUNT screens that I see in this version of OUTLOOK (2002).

When I use the AVG set-up WIZARD it only gives me options for OUTLOOK EXPRESS and despite following the subsequent process and instructions - it doesn't want to change!

Does any one use NTL / Outlook / AVG? Would love to know your account settings (but not your password obviously!)? Ta.

------------------------

Can anyone else help further? I am without email on my PC at the moment and my hair is thinning rapidly...!

g0slp 07:22 04 May 04

Apologies, can't help with your problem, but I would respectfully suggest that you start your own thread, rather than going on someone else's. (Avoids confusion, and is normal practice on the forum)

Regards, g0slp

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…