Can't get my slave hard drive to work.

Russlyn 17:26 23 Nov 04

Hi folks, First excuse my spelling.

I am the proud owner of a Packard Bell imedia 1601 home pc. The pc came with an 80 GB hard drive and i decided to upgrade with a second hard drive, Samsung SP0802N 80 GB 7200 ultra ata 133. I have fitted the drive and my computer finds it and recognises it but i cant use it. The second drives shows up on my device manager but when i click on MY COMPUTER it is not there. click here have a free device manager download, this is no good as it requires that you make a boot disk in floppy format. I dont have a floppy drive on this computer.

What can i do, do i have to go out and buy a floppy drive in order to start my hard drive?

Please help me, Russ Davies...

scotty 17:28 23 Nov 04

Have you formatted the new drive?

smudge101 17:30 23 Nov 04

Are you usin XP? If so Home or Pro and do you have service pack 2?

pj123 17:31 23 Nov 04

As scotty says you need to Fdisk, partition and format the slave hard drive. Once that is done it should be recognised.

Djohn 17:37 23 Nov 04

Right click on your "My Computer" Icon and choose "Manage" then "Disk management". In the lower of the two windows you will see your C: drive as Disk 0 and your new slave drive as disk 1. Right click your mouse on the right hand pane of disk 1 and choose Format.

Normal format may take over an hour but if you feel the drive is OK and it should be as its new, choose quick format. It will be done in a few seconds and will now show up in your "My Computer" and be ready for use.

While your still in disk management you can assign the drive a new letter if you wish, any one except for the ones being used although you can change them as well except for the C: drive.

pj123 17:53 23 Nov 04

We need to know what O/S you have. We can't just assume that you have Windows XP

Djohn 19:20 23 Nov 04

Thank you very much for your almost instant responce. My new hard drive is now up and running and waiting to be filled. What a very quick sollution to what seemed a very difficult problem. Once again thank you.

Your welcome, pleased that we could help :o)

Djohn 19:24 23 Nov 04

I took an educated guess pete seing that the "Packard Bell imedia 1601 home pc." is a new machine complete with XP home installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…