can't get my pc to network

lvwr 18:16 20 Sep 05

we want to network 2 pc's in the same room. Both have an ethernet adapter. The guy in the shop said we just needed one cable which he sold to me. we plugged in and ran the network connection wizard. It seemed to work ok but the pc's are not communicating and in network connections it says the network cable is unplugged. can anyone help?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:24 20 Sep 05

Hopefully you have a "crossover cable" to connect the 2 PCs.

1. Check in device manager on each machine to see if there is any problems with the network adapters (yellow exclamation mark).

If not then

2. Disconnect fom the web and disable the firewall on both machines to see if this solves the problem. reenable the firewalls one at a time to see which may be the problem

lvwr 12:37 21 Sep 05

tried both of these but neither helps!

mgmcc 08:52 22 Sep 05

Are you definitely using a CROSSOVER ethernet cable? This is essential when connecting two PCs directly, rather than via a hub/switch/router.

recap 15:46 22 Sep 05

Make sure you are using unique IP addresses for both machines, i.e. 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 or something similar. Both machines have a unique name, i.e. home1 & home2 and that the workgroup name is the same on both machines, i.e. homenetwork. That you have create the relevant shares on the machines.

Before running the network wizard ensure that the firewalls on both machines are disabled.

If you are using XP?, run the network wizard on one machine to create the necessary floppy disc, then run the disc on the other machine. This should take around 15 minutes to setup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…