Can't get my new graphics card to work

dagbladet 10:59 01 Jan 06

Just purchased a new card which i'm struggling to get to work properly. The pc continually freezes and I can't seem to get the drivers to load properly. My mobo is this click here

My new card is this click here

AMD 2600+ running XP pro sp2.

I tried removing old drivers, restarting, swapping cards, re-boot, load new drivers, re-boot, but am constantly getting freezes, greyed out screens, and what is probably a BSOD, but it's hard to tell with all the greyed outness.

Any help appreciated, especially by daughter who is desperate to play her games.

Diodorus Siculus 11:04 01 Jan 06

In the BIOS there is likely to be an option to disable onboard graphics and view graphics from the AGP slot. Have you had a look?

dagbladet 11:06 01 Jan 06

No, but the previous card was also AGP. Would this already be set?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:20 01 Jan 06

TV Encoder Interface

* Multiplexed with AGP Interface.
* Clock Speeds Up to 80 MHz in Slave Mode.
* Supports 12-bit Single Clock with Dual Edge.

DVI Interface

* Multiplexed with AGP Interface.
* Clock Speeds Up to Full DVI Spec. of 165 MHz.
* Simultaneous Display with CRT.

Both Nvdia, looks like a conflict problem with the ATI drivers of your new card.

Can you uninstall driver or disable in BIOS for the above and retry your card.

dagbladet 11:28 01 Jan 06

Diodorus

I've checked the BIOS. under 'initial graphics' I have a choice of - PCI (which was selected) or onboard/AGP which I have now selected but as I write it has frozen on the welcome screen.

BTW i'm working on wifes wireless laptop.

Fruit bat what is it in the BIOS that I should try to disable.

dagbladet 11:39 01 Jan 06

That BIOS setting is 'INIT DISPLAY FIRST'

DieSse 12:28 01 Jan 06

The BIOS setting you are looking at is irrelevant for the problem you have. It's use is only for when you have two display adaptors, and it tells the system which one to initialise first.

Cybermaxx 12:47 01 Jan 06

Have you tried downloading the latest ATI Radeon drivers from the ATI site, and using them instead of the out of daate drivers on the disc that came with the graphics card?

Assuming you're using Windows XP........

click here

dagbladet 12:48 01 Jan 06

Thanks DieSse, it would seem that the great god of ilogicalness is at work this morning. After yet another attempt to load the Catalyst software, I got a 'SEVERE' display error, followed by software loading process terminated. After re-booting the machine the graphics card is sort of working. In the properties I have two cards listed 'radeon 9550' and 'radeon 9550 secondary'. I've no idea where the secondary comes from, also in the disply properties I appear to have two monitors, while in reality I have only one. I suppose if it works then i should just leave it all alone. Thanks folks.

dagbladet 12:50 01 Jan 06

Cybermaxx

Yes i downloaded the Catalyst 5.13 drivers.

Cybermaxx 12:52 01 Jan 06

The "Radeon ****" and "Radeon **** secondary" bit is alright! I get the same info. displayed with my 9600XT.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…