cant get my laptop to connect to the net

Phrixos 17:09 15 Mar 09

On my desktop machine, my internet connection is working fine. Recently, I bought a second-hand laptop (read, "no documentation") and no matter what I do I can't get it to talk to the router.

(Network card is a Broadcom 440x 10/100)

Wireless setting are like Greek to me.

Any advice out there?

rawprawn 17:13 15 Mar 09

Is the wireless connection switched on? usually the switch is at the right hand side front.

Sea Urchin 17:16 15 Mar 09

- Wireless setting are like Greek to me -

Surely with your name Greek should be no problem :@)

click here

Pineman100 18:02 15 Mar 09

That network card sounds like an ethernet (ie: wired) job. Are you sure the laptop has a wireless adaptor?

Pineman100 18:06 15 Mar 09

Like rawprawn, I'm assuming that it's a wireless connection that you're trying to establish?

Phrixos 19:26 15 Mar 09

Ha Ha. Sea Urchin. On the ball, as usual, I see.

Oy! Yes, Device Manager has the Broadcom listed as an "Integrated Controller" and "Network Adapter"

The Wireless adapter is listed as an (unspecified) "802.11g MiniPCI Wireless Network Adapter". Not that that has maked any difference. I've been trying them all. There's also a 1394 adaptor (Isn't that Firewiere?)--which I have no use for.)

At this point I'm wondering about the "Wireless Button" itself. I think it's supposed to light up when pressed, but aside from a little "click", it give no indication of being on or off. (Interestingly, when I first turn the computer on, the Wireless Button flashes--once--so it seems to be functional.)

Anyone out there got hands-on experience with an MSI/TINY Megabook (L610I)?

Another interesting thing: whereas before, both the "single monitor" and "twin monitors" icons in the system tray had red x's on them, now the single monitor one has a yellow exclamation mark, and when hovered over, says, my Sky connection strength (correct ident number) is "Excellent". So, evidently the system is receiving a signal.

What's that about?

Phrixos 19:53 15 Mar 09

Under Wireless Network Connection Status/Support, I'm now getting the message:

"Limited or no connectivity. You might not be able to access the Internet, because... the network did not assign a network address to the computer."

It then invites me to click the Repair button, but that always results in an "Unable to repair" message.

Phrixos 20:09 15 Mar 09

More confusion.

Under Network Connections, under the WIRELESS 802.11g adapter, it says "Network cable unplugged"

(Cable?)

Of course, my main Desktop PC is connected to the router via cable, but surely the Laptop is not supposed to be.)

Oh. I appear not to have indicated, my laptop's OS is WinXP.

Jollyjohn 20:17 15 Mar 09

I would have a look in the bios / setup when you first switch the laptop on there will a messsage such as "press delete to enter setup" may be F2 or tab.
Once this opens look for anything relating to wireless and check it is enabled.
press F10 to save changes and exit

Phrixos 20:56 15 Mar 09

Nope. BIOS is fine.
Could this be a (Comodo)firewall problem?
Firewalls are another labyrinth to me.

woodchip 20:57 15 Mar 09

Is the Network Card Plugged into the PCMCIA slot? if it is you should have software for it so that you can put settings into the Software for it to connect.

You would need the "SSID and Encryption Key" from the Wireless Settings in the Router, Also Wireless needs to be turned on in the Router Settings.

The above needs to be put down on paper so you can put them into settings software in Laptop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009