Can't get on line - does that happen to you?

jack 12:40 24 May 09

It happened to me this morning - Pop3 failed to connect.
Favourite - PCA -simply read 'Done' and sat getting nowhere.
So rebooted - still the same.
Went away did something else- still nothing.
I thought its the server[My ISP]
Nothing -
So in a moment of desperation I clicked on Google Earth.
It worked and I took a tour of the Caribbean.
Then came back to FireFox and PCA - and there you all were chattering away.
Went to in box- all 175 mails were there -174 Spam

So Google Earth can fix your no go connection then.
What do you reckon?

john bunyan 13:18 24 May 09

I had a similar problem last week and could not connect to my ISP - Pipex - nor get e mail via Outlook Express. I spoke to a local expert, and he said (don't know how true this is) that sometimes am ISP is so busy they "run out" of ISP addresses. He reccomended turning off my modem/router for 5 minutes then it should acquire an IP address on restart. This worked! Maybe others more knowlegable will comment.

jack 09:16 25 May 09

'He recommended turning off my modem/router for 5 minutes then it should acquire an IP address on restart.
Also pressed the retset- so perhaps the no IP address acquisition was something to do with it or just plain busy as suggested.

Muergo 19:20 25 May 09

My ISP varies from 3.5 Mb to 400Kb in minutes and recovers again, I was told by a technician it was the "contention ratio" basically how many are trying to access at any particular time, businesses are given a higher share of that available compared to domestic users.
Complaining will get you a tweak at the exchange if you have an LLU exchange.

interzone55 20:40 25 May 09

It's possible that your ISP DNS server was down - so any page requests involving standard address won't be resolved into IP addresses, so you'd get nowhere.

Google Earth links directly to one of Google's IP addresses, so isn't affected by a borked DNS server.

If this happens again try this address

It should take you to google's UK page

blazingbadger 08:37 26 May 09

I have noticed this but only when the Schools are on holiday the last few days have been horrendous for downloading times I thinks as Muergo says it all depends on how many people are trying for access

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5