cant get into folder on harddrive ACCESS DENIED

woofwoofbark 09:25 18 Jan 05

I have a folder on my hardrive C:\Documents and Settings .. I have saved downloaded programs and music to it .. but all of a sudden I cant open and look inside it , if i click on it I get a message saying its not accesable and access denied ... I ran a virus scan through nortons 2003 and it found a virus and said its been removed but I still cant get in ... if i right click to delete I get 'Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use' i have tried restarting in safe mode but still no joy

help please

ACOLYTE 09:31 18 Jan 05

Was the virus found inside the folder you cant acsess?,if so it may be parts of it are left and are using the folder,you need to find the prosess that is using the folder and terminate it.If it wasnt found in that folder then there is still a process using the folder or a file in the folder and needs to be terminated.
click here

May help.

woofwoofbark 09:57 18 Jan 05

I downloaded that program from the site you gave me ... I unzipped and tried to run the program but got a popup saying the application failed to initialize properly (0x0000135.Click on OK to terminate the application?

Yeah the virus was inside the folder I cant access

keith-236785 10:18 18 Jan 05

this might be a job for good old dos, can you tell us which windows you are using, if its xp are you the administrator?

woofwoofbark 10:33 18 Jan 05

xp with sp2

woofwoofbark 10:34 18 Jan 05

and yes its my own home computer

woofwoofbark 10:35 18 Jan 05

another thing ... I know there are quite a few files in there , programs prerun and music i have downloaded but when i place the arrow over the folder its says its empty ? i knowthrough full computer virus scans that it isnt because i see nortons scanning the files in the folder

Sethhaniel 12:38 18 Jan 05

I recently copied a file & folder to my memory stick to copy onto my laptop -ok - I then went to put it on my back-up computer and in explorer nothing showed on memory stick - even though I knew it was there - put it back in main computer and there it was but it said it was a system folder and could not be deleted ??
I had to unhide it and change properties before I could finally get rid of it.

woofwoofbark 12:50 19 Jan 05

i have shown hidden folders (even though the folder I can access is not hidden) for the folder options , how can I change its properties ?

Sethhaniel 13:05 19 Jan 05

and see what options you have -i'm on windows 2000 here and I think the settings are different in XP - :)

Sethhaniel 13:11 19 Jan 05

hide protected operating system files (recommended)is unticked in Windows Explorer -Tools - Folder Options -View

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…