Can't get dual monitors to work

griffo 10:41 05 Nov 08

I have an Acer Aspire 5021 WLMi (XP)and I am trying to work with 2 monitors (extended desktop) but only one or the other will show anything.

I have set 'extend desktop' in display properties but it still doesn't work. If I boot with the second monitor attached, that one is live, if I boot then attach it, only the laptop monitor is live.

Can anyone suggest a remedy please?

scotty 11:10 05 Nov 08

Most laptops have a combination of keys to be pressed to cycle through the three screen options (laptop monitor only, external monitor only and both). Key combination is usually something like function button plus F5, but it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Once you succeed in getting both to display you normally have two options, cloned or extended.

Rahere 14:11 05 Nov 08

try this tutorial click here

Hopefully your laptop graphics card is capable of Extended Desktop mode rather than Mirrored mode which is what you have at the moment. I can't help wondering if you should have two graphics cards for this but give it a try.

woodchip 14:59 05 Nov 08

Are you saying that you have been into Display adapter settings and set up dual Monitor? it should then show two monitors 1 and 2 You only have full desktop on one monitor i.e with task bar and icons

griffo 15:56 05 Nov 08

thanks for the replies folks - I have found the solution (which may help others) - I reduced the pixels on the external monitor by one notch and it came on!

I don't pretend to understand why, perhaps the laptop graphics card can't go above a certain level when 2 monitors are attached (cos it worked the second monitor on the higher setting, when it was only sending to that display).

Anyhow, it's working, thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5