Can't get additiional hard drive to work

Munchkin 20:24 04 Feb 09

Have just installed an additional internal hard drive which I can't get to work. It's a SATA-300 type, which I know is compatable with my computer because the existing hard drive is a Western Digital WD800JD 75JNC0, I checked the model number on the net and confirmed it as 300 as opposed to 150. I plugged in the SATA cable from the new hard drive to the second SATA outlet on the motherboard and enabled the SATA outlet from the system set-up. My computer isn't seeing the new drive !!!! Am I missing something? The new drive is a Western Digital 1 terra byte

grey george 21:08 04 Feb 09

If your on vista you need to go to the control panel/administrative tools/computer management/ disc management. Some where in there is the option to initialise the new drive.

Munchkin 21:54 04 Feb 09

I'm running XP

grey george 22:05 04 Feb 09

It's similar in xp, more info: click here

Zeppelyn 22:14 04 Feb 09

Can you see the new drive in BIOS and is it set to Auto Detect?

grey george 22:25 04 Feb 09

I assume you have also connected the drive to a spare power supply cable.

Munchkin 20:04 05 Feb 09

The drive isn't being recognized in BIOS. This therefore doesn't work with your suggestion (grey george) because as far as XP is concerned the drive doesn't exist! Would there perhaps be a fault with the motherboard in relation to the second SATA outlet? All I have done is plug the SATA cable into the outlet on the Motherboard and into the hard drive and connect the power cable to the hard drive and then enable the second SATA outlet on the motherboard via the setup utility at the BIOS stage. And there's me thinking it would be straightforward !

grey george 20:40 05 Feb 09

Was there a jumper for slave or master?
Do you think the drive spins up when you power on?
If your very carefull you can touch it to see if it is spinning.

Munchkin 20:59 05 Feb 09

I conducted a couple of experiments and now suspect I might have a faulty hard drive. I connected my existing hard drive to the second SATA outlet on the motherboard using the same SATA lead I used for the new hard drive. I also connected the auxillary power lead to the existing drive. When I switch on and go into the set up utility the existing drive shows up ok. This therefore proved that there is noting wrong with the second SATA outlet on the motherboard, noting wrong with the SATA lead I was using and noting wrong with the power lead connector. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that the hard drive must be at fault. As the drive is a SATA type as opposed to IDE it does not have any jumpers.

grey george 21:04 05 Feb 09

Sounds like a dead drive, was it new?
Have you got a external caddy or another machine you try it in just to make sure?

Munchkin 21:40 05 Feb 09

Need to get my hands on another machine now !!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…