Can't get Access to External Hard Drive

Mclearns Bald 20:40 24 Oct 06

Just bought an externall hard drive and plugged it into USB port. Tried Control Panel - Install New Hardware and it said the device is working properly. The problem is that it does not show up as a separate drive on My Computer. So therefore I can't get the use of it. Yes I did restart the computer.

ed-0 20:42 24 Oct 06

Right click my computer > manage > disk management.

The drive should show in the right hand window.

Right click on the drive to start a new partition wizard and to format the drive.

Mclearns Bald 20:57 24 Oct 06

Thanks for your advice ed-0 but I am sorry to say that the only drives shown on the right window are the C:/ and the two CD ROM drives: D:/ and E:/.

ed-0 21:36 24 Oct 06

Is it listed under " devices with removeable storage" ? In my computer.

Mclearns Bald 11:29 25 Oct 06

No but I have just found it under Device Manager as 'Generic USB Disk USB Device'. Well I think that what it means.

Technotiger 11:32 25 Oct 06

Hi, in My Computer, it should show up as "External HD" with a drive letter.

Technotiger 11:35 25 Oct 06

Me again - it should also show in Device Manager under Disk Drives. I also have usb external hd.

Technotiger 11:36 25 Oct 06

In Device Manager it should show up as above, and showing the actual Make etc of the drive.

anskyber 12:18 25 Oct 06

Try, turn your computer off, then unplug the USB cable and then the power to the drive. Restart you computer, plug the power into the hard drive, wait 10 seconds and then plug the USB into the computer. This clears the hard drive buffer. See if the drive shows up in disk management.

anskyber 12:24 25 Oct 06

Sorry to ask the obvious, did you install any software supplied with the HDD?

Mclearns Bald 12:46 25 Oct 06

Thanks anskyber. I'll give your suggestions a go. The only software supplier was drivers for running in Windows 98. I am on XP and the drivers instal automatically.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017