Can't format SD card

Baz48 14:13 01 Jan 07

I have a mini SD card form my PDA.

I tried to erase a couple of .PDF files, via my PC running XP and a card reader, but an error message said it couldn't access them. I then tried to format the card and got a message saying "Windows could not complete the format". The card was then unreadable in the PDA.

I have two options in format: FAT32 and FAT. It will format into FAT but not into FAT32. Will FAT be OK or should I return the SD card for replacement (4 weeks old).

My PC is running NTFS.

skidzy 14:29 01 Jan 07

All cards should be formatted in there device,ie camera/phone/pda etc.
Im unsure whether formatting into Fat will be accessible from the pc...others may help on that bit.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:30 01 Jan 07

Can you format it in the PDA?

Forum Editor 14:31 01 Jan 07

so format the card that way.

Baz48 15:03 01 Jan 07

I couldn't format it in the PDA when I bought it, so I had to buy a card reader.

I read somewhere that Windows Mobile 5.0 does not have a format facility.

Just tried the card back in the PDA and it can't find a storage card. The format to FAT seemed to go OK and the PC can see it. I'll try to install some files via the PC.

Baz48 15:44 01 Jan 07

I re-installed a file that I removed from the SD card but the assocciated program wouldn't work, even though the program was installed to the PDA. Re installation of the program cured this. I guess it had installed itself as FAT 32 originally.

Is there any disadvantage to usung FAT, like restricted file size or anything. I will be wanting to install a couple of 375 Mb files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac