Can't format Hard Disk - Windows XP

MJJ8801 10:24 11 Sep 04

I want to reformat my messy, slow hard drive and re-install XP using my Evesham recovery CD but I think the hard drive has a virus and won't allow me to reformat it.

I have changed the BIOS to allow booting from the recovery CD and have tried using FORMAT C:/FS:NTFS but to no avail.

I have also tried during XP installation from the recovery CD but I am not offered the option of deleting the existing partition in order to reformat the drive.

What other options do I have?

If I install up to date virus software will this remove the existing virus/es (my anti-virus software is 2 years out of date!)and allow me to reformat?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. (Please keep it simple as I'm not that technically minded)

Cheers

Legolas 10:29 11 Sep 04

Have you tried booting to the a: drive using either a 98 or ME boot up disk. Once at the a: drive type format c: and it should format.If you do not have a boot disk you can download one from click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:34 11 Sep 04

FREE Software

Anti Virus :-
Avast4 click here
Antivir click here
AVG antivirus click here

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…