Can't format in fat32

zoobie 05:01 13 Jan 04

I've made an old 2.4gb HD my slave but when I dos format d:, win98se chooses fat16 instead of fat32. The fat32 converter in windows can't format with a few bad sectors. Any suggestions on how to format d: to fat32? Thanks

fredman 05:30 13 Jan 04

F Disc first zoobie.
hope this helps.
fredman

zoobie 08:09 13 Jan 04

Well, I already did and didn't see any command line prompt for fat32. Windows can't convert to fat32 if there's a bad cluster sector...Guess I'll try PM...Thx

DieSse 11:16 13 Jan 04

A FAT16 partition cannot be 2.4Gb - the maximum is only around 2Gb - so i suspect you have not FDISKed correctly.

Use FDISK to first delete all existing partions - then when you run it again to set up the drive, say Y for large drive support - then you should get a full size partition, which must format to FAT32.

DieSse 11:16 13 Jan 04

A FAT16 partition cannot be 2.4Gb - the maximum is only around 2Gb - so i suspect you have not FDISKed correctly.

Use FDISK to first delete all existing partions - then when you run it again to set up the drive, say Y for large drive support - then you should get a full size partition, which must format to FAT32.

zoobie 19:53 13 Jan 04

Well, I just used Maxtor's Maxblast3 and it partitioned the D drive and formatted it to fat32. But the pics are all ruined...

zoobie 19:58 13 Jan 04

The partition info says:
Partition:1
Type:Primary dos
Volume Label:Drive_D
Mbytes:2445
System:FAT32
Usage:100%

Comments?
Thx

DieSse 20:48 13 Jan 04

The formattng that you quote is now correct.

Pics ruined?? - what pics?

zoobie 21:00 13 Jan 04

Well, in another thread here, I mentioned that the pics in D drive's initial fat16 moved to C drive's fat32 and now back to D drive's fat32 have lost a lot of color and quality...to the point of not being able to read much print on them...bummer

DieSse 21:57 13 Jan 04

Moving data files around (if that's the only thing you did) will have no effect on them whatsoever. So you must look elsewhere for the cause of this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…