Cant find Wireless in windows XP

Newuser4343 16:54 26 Feb 06

I have just installed a linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter WMP54G in my new windows XP PC but it cannot detect my wireless network which is run by Linksys ADSL gateway WAG54G.I know there is a signal in the room as my daughters laptop connects wirelessly in the same room.Windows says the adapter is working correctly. Any suggestions?

ade.h 17:01 26 Feb 06

Does the gateway broadcast its SSID?

Is it open or secured?

Newuser4343 17:22 26 Feb 06

It broadcasts its SSID which is not the default.It is not secured as yet WEP, WPA ,Mac address filtering etc.

ade.h 17:23 26 Feb 06

You're not running the PCI adapter with any Linksys software are you?

Newuser4343 17:43 26 Feb 06

Installed the adapter then installed the driver software from the supplied CD,as advised on installation instructions.

ade.h 17:56 26 Feb 06

I would strongly advise you not to install it that way, regardless of what any manual may say.

IN MOST CASES, wireless adapters of all kinds can be run in a driver-only state, controlled by XP's own network capability.

This is a commonly used cure for adapter issues - particularly USB, but it can also work for PCI card problems.

Uninstall the software and hardware in its entirety - do so in the correct manner and remove the program's remaining files afterwards, Reboot and then install the device on its own. When XP recognises a new device and launches its Hardware Wizard, point it to the correct driver by choosing to browse manually when it asks you how it should find one. This does not work in 100% of cases with all devices known to man, but it applies to at least 90% of hardware.

ade.h 17:57 26 Feb 06

Oh, and should have said:

For convenience, browse the CD beforehand and copy the XP driver to a convenient location. Your desktop would do.

Newuser4343 18:02 26 Feb 06

How do I remove the programs remaining files afterwards?Thanks for advice so far will try a little later today.

ade.h 18:05 26 Feb 06

Navigate to C:\Program Files\ and locate the Linksys folder. If it's still there, delete it. Then you could run CCleaner to be sure of a clean registry. click here if you don't already use it.

Newuser4343 20:40 26 Feb 06

Have uninstalled adapter and driver and all references to Linksys which there didnt seem to be any ran CCleaner but didnt remove anything as no references to linksys Couldnt locate specific XP driver on cd but copied a driver file to my documents+shortcut Rebooted PC which detected adapter and installed driver straight away.Still says cant fina a wireless network.Couldn't get to shortcut on desktop to update driver seem to be stuck!Also now says wireless connection2 not responding!

ade.h 21:01 26 Feb 06

Wireless connection 2?

Now that makes me wonder, because you should not have two wireless connections. Perhaps we have found the root of the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos