can't find USB flash drive driver for Me

trigger2 15:12 25 Sep 04

have just got a USB flash drive but my Win Me pc can'nt find a driver for it (or on supplied disc)
any one know where i can get/download it from
thanks

Gongoozler 15:24 25 Sep 04

Do you actually need drivers for Windows ME? You certainly don't for XP, and you definitely do for 98se. Lexar, for example, say that their Jumpdrive works on 98se, ME, 2000 and XP, but only offer drivers for 98se. click here

buscrew 15:33 25 Sep 04

Gongoozler is correct, they are not required for ME. Just plug it in and it will show in My Computer as a new drive. A word of caution regarding removal, in ME you must use the "Safely Remove Hardware Icon" in the systray area to stop the drive prior to removal, as just unplugging it may result in lost data or damage.

trigger2 15:37 25 Sep 04

you are right i donn't think you are supposed to need drivers for me !
but when i plug in the flash drive the pc doen't seem to see it automatically (as it should)
and when i try to refresh the driver through device manager in "my computer" it can't find any (nor on supplied disc, thougt this is supposed to be for 98)
the flash drive may be faulty but i want to try and find out before i send it back

palinka 18:06 25 Sep 04

I use a USB flash drive with both ME and XP - in fact very useful for swapping stuff between my 2 systems (not networked) and have not needed a driver for either.

I notice that in ME it sometimes takes a moment for it to realise that there is a new hardware device installed. it's important to make sure the Flash drive is pushed well into the socket, and with some designs that can be tricky especially if you're using the next-door socket for something rather bulky. it's worth removing the next-door item (temporarily) to be sure that the Flash drive is securely in the socket.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…