Can't find scanner but can printer!

RISC OS user 22:15 21 Oct 13
Answered

I have my HP psc1350 connected to my desktop PC (Windows 7) via USB and my laptop (Windows 8.1) can print to that printer over both the LAN and WiFi. I can also used the scanner from the Desktop machine. My problems is that when I attempt to use the scanner from the Laptop I get a message is the Scanner turned on? I also tried to reload the drivers for the all in one on to the laptop and again the installer is not able to locate the device even when I tick the it's on a LAN box. I had this problem with windows 7 and now I have it with Windows 8.1. I have tried with the built in Scan Programme and Microsoft Office document scanning. Each time I states no compatible scanner found, load software. How can I over come this?

Woolwell 23:35 21 Oct 13

I'm not sure that you can scan from a scanner connected by USB to the desktop. You can print to it if the desktop is on. I think that you may need to check with HP.

Ian in Northampton 12:36 22 Oct 13
Answer

I haven't heard of (which isn't to say it isn't possible) the ability to access a scanner from multiple PCs attached to the network. My set up sees me able to print from any device - but I can scan from only one, the PC to which the scanner is directly connected. I sense that's your problem - the laptop is looking for a physical connection.

Woolwell 12:41 22 Oct 13

You can scan from more than one device from an all-in-one which is connected directly to the router usually by wifi. But connected to a pc by usb is different.

RISC OS user 14:21 22 Oct 13

Thanks for your replies, may have to get a WiFi printer/scanner next time I buy one!

woodchip 14:23 22 Oct 13

As to Woolwell post You will need a printer server to do the above

compumac 14:43 22 Oct 13

I have an HP Photosmart Plus 6520 multifunction printer connected to my main PC. I have laptops that print to that printer via wireless. I have been able to do this on older HP multifunction printers.

I use Word or Excel on my laptops and scan using the HP printer whilst in those applications by - holding down the Alt Key and pressing in turn the letters I, S and then P. This gives you the option to scan wirelessly.

john bunyan 15:50 22 Oct 13

Not very convenient, but if the scanner drivers are installed on the laptop, you could plug it into the scanner direct via USB whist temporarily disconnecting from the desktop. I do not think wireless would do it, I may be wrong.

compumac 16:20 22 Oct 13

john bunyan.

Wireless will do it through using Word or Excel and then copy/paste to desired destination. I have done it many times. That is on the basis that the laptop does have all of the printer functions installed on it.

compumac 16:22 22 Oct 13

Perhaps I should have stated that I use it via the home wireless network as opposed to direct wireless printing.

john bunyan 18:09 22 Oct 13

compumac

I was only referring to the scanning function, not printing. If it works , fine, but there seems to be a difference between printing and scanning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…