Can't find operating system

donmar 09:32 20 Jun 03

Until recently all was well.Now,quite regularly the system crashes,Go back reports massive disruption and advises letting scan disk run,and then reinstall itself.I reboot and get the message 'cannot find operating system'Starting with Me rescue disk and typing in various commands always results in bad command messages.
Have formatted and reinstalled all only to have the system crash again with all the same messages.There are no viruses etc on the system and 14 of the 20gb hard drive is free.I have restored from a ghost image made some time ago but the system has crashed again since and I have used the image again.Sys resore is disabled in favour of Go Back because restore is never of any help if windows won't even start.
Please can you help? I have Win ME. Don.

HighTower 09:48 20 Jun 03

I had exactly the same issue and it turned out to be a faulty hard drive. At first I could boot, say, 7 out of ten times, then it got less and eventually the "operating system not found" message appears all the time as the hard drive breathed it's last. It all happened within the space of a week. Scandisk didn't report any errors, even after a full surface scan.

Take an up to date image as quickly as you can before the disk fails so you are covered - in case this is the same problem you are experiencing.

TECHNODIMWIT 09:48 20 Jun 03

could be your ghost image is corrupt as well and all your doing is repeting the problem.
have you tried a totally fresh instal of WinME and started from scratch again.

mark

donmar 10:40 20 Jun 03

Technodimwit and HighTower Yes I have done a clean restore and it all happened again.Scan disc reports no probs.and S.M.A.R.T.reports disc health good with no untoward attributes.

woodchip 10:54 20 Jun 03

Your ghost image may have a fault it the image, Try a complete format and reinstall

keith-236785 11:03 20 Jun 03

if as HighTower says it is your hard drive then firstly get all your data saved to cd or floppy, then see if you can "borrow" a spare hard drive, swop yours out and reinstall windows (or the ghost image) and see if you still have the problem.

good luck

donmar 11:08 20 Jun 03

Thanks everyone.Have done that already woodchip.Twice now.Don

woodchip 11:14 20 Jun 03

It could be a Corrupt MBR Get a start disc from click here and start with the disc TYPE at a:\>FDISK/MBR press enter

HighTower 13:08 20 Jun 03

When it happened to the pc I was working on Norton Utilities Disk Doctor reported no problems at all after a full thorough scan! A few hours later the disk was dead. Your hard drive may still fail regardless of what your disk utilities tell you as it may be being temperamental, i.e. when it does work it works fine, when it doesn't it doesn't work at all!

Luckily I had a disk image to restore, so as long as you have that then you can breathe a little easier while you try to solve the problem. Disk utilities are great for sorting out file system problems but in my experience not all that accurate for warning of early signs of physical disk damage.

donmar 13:22 20 Jun 03

Thanks everyone.Will try that woodchip.?Won't taking a ghost image now just have the same faults
Don

HighTower 14:49 21 Jun 03

The disk image shouldn't record any physical defects of the disk but purely the data on it. You should be OK. If the imaging software you use reports that the procedure has completed successfuly then I would be fairly confident that the image is OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…