cant find modem

blowworm 16:17 20 Jul 04

Hiya all,
AMD K71100 98se, will not find diamond 56e ext modem, it goes on the com port.

the modem setup program don't find it either.

Any ideas would be most grateful,

James.

johnsims 16:25 20 Jul 04

If your PC has two serial ports, connect cable to the other one and try a renistall of the driver software. (I assume you have power to the modem - ie power light is on)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:29 20 Jul 04

Chck port is enabled in BIOS

blowworm 17:34 21 Jul 04

Everything is connected and turned on. There is only the one com port, how do i check in the bios which section?

Thanks,

James

Dorsai 17:42 21 Jul 04

I would also check in controll panel, device manager, hardware, and expand the link for 'ports (Com & Lpt)'.

Check that com 1 (i assume, as you only have the 1) is enabled, and under (right click)properties 'this device is working properly' shows in the 'device status box'

blowworm 17:52 21 Jul 04

Hi,
There is not a com port listed in device manager only printer lpt1.

Thanks,

James

blowworm 18:23 21 Jul 04

Been in and loaded optimal bios settings, com1 is now in device manager, and working.

Still will not detect modem. Be grateful for any more help.

Thanks,

James

blowworm 18:31 21 Jul 04

Have just plugged a digicam on the port and that aint recognised either?

James

Dorsai 18:38 21 Jul 04

This would tend to give a suggestion as to why it is not working.

For whatever reason the PC does not have a com port setup, so without a working COM(unication) port to plug the modem into it is not going to work.

So now you have to get the com port up and running.

I strongly suspect that Fruit Bat has the right idea.

But won't re-boot my PC and go into the bios and find out how to turn a com port on as the PC has been playing silly buggers with me all week, and every time i re boot it it takes me hours to get the daft thing to realize i have USB ports with a BB modem plugged into. Most Irritating. Is going fine now, so leaving well enough alone.

Dorsai 18:42 21 Jul 04

Now it's shown in hardware manager you at least stand a chance.

And fruit bat was right, it was in the bios settings. Hat OFF.

As to how to set-up a com port to work right with a modem i am at a loss. goes beyond my limited knowledge.

blowworm 18:46 21 Jul 04

Hi,
The device manager is showing com1 and working, so I am assuming it is enabled and working thats what it says at least.

Thanks,
James

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…