cant find a key

pollpott 10:14 02 Mar 05

To get rid of the trogen "golden retriever" I have found a web site which gives instructions as follows....Using regedit follow the path HKEY_LOCAL-MACHINE\SOFTWARE\microsoft\windows\current version\run\ look for the key that says Task manager="c:\mstask.exe" and delete it, then reboot .when rebooted delete the following file mstask.exe.
The problem is when i get to the point "run", there isnt an entry,(key), Task manager="c:\mstask.exe", but then I'm not exactly sure what is meant by a key.

CurlyWhirly 10:47 02 Mar 05

If you don't know what a registry key is, then I wouldn't mess around in the registry!
Not being sarcastic, but you can do real harm to Windows if you mess around with it, and you don't know what you are doing! ;0)

CurlyWhirly 10:49 02 Mar 05

By the way, mstask.exe is the Windows Task Scheduler.

click here

pollpott 12:27 02 Mar 05

I understand what you are saying but I am trying to follow instructions to get rid of Golden Retriever so can you explain what to do ?

ACOLYTE 12:58 02 Mar 05

Can you post the link to the site where the destructions are?,may help in helping you.

gudgulf 13:03 02 Mar 05

Have you tried anything to remove the trojan automatically such as a2 or Adaware?

Graham ® 13:11 02 Mar 05

Some info and removal instructions:

click here

It's quite old, so I would imagine A Squared would fix it:

click here

pollpott 14:41 02 Mar 05

I have run A^2 and adaware but it still appears to be there. It appears in the add\remove progs. and when i try to remove it I get a messagesaying that I am trying to remove the cashback from and if I want this I shouldenter the text which appears in the box.At the top of the box is the text....DSCGSUN4 . This seems dodgy to me so I have'nt done it. The site i got the rmoval instructions from is click here

SANTOS7 14:51 02 Mar 05

I know this is silly but when searching through regedit, when you get to run, are you highlighting it or looking below it, if you highlight it you will get a list of threads on the right side of the page and what you are looking for should be there

Graham ® 14:53 02 Mar 05

Is the text distorted?

I'm beginning to think this isn't a trojan, but a program that has been downloaded.

Shopathome is a US discount site:

click here

In add/remove, is the date of the program significant? I would disconnect from the internet and delete it.

pollpott 14:54 02 Mar 05

Santos, yeah I got a list of threads to the right but what i was looking for wasn't there, thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…