can't find hdd

weemacs 21:30 22 Oct 09

laptop hp6710b cant find hard drive although passed hdd test in bios fine. XP repair on disk will not work says hd not found. Any solutions I have found (and it seems to be a well known problem) is to do with the sata drive and advised to hit F6 for raid drivers when booting up from xp recovery disk then put on already downloaded drivers using a floppy disk. My laptop has no floppy disk can this be done with USB or CD and is that the best solution. Get splash screen then just scrolls between it and option for normal or safe mode.

Terry Brown 21:35 22 Oct 09

Will it find it in Disk Management ?

Go to Help, In the box type in DISK, it is normally the last line, andf follow to Disk management

If Disk management 'see's it, try formatting from there.

You system should then see the drive.

If you need RAID drivers, load them to a thumb drive, and this will seen when you select F6 for raid drivers.
Terry

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:23 22 Oct 09

As you cannot get into XP then I don't think disk management is going to help.

"XP repair can't see a sata disk unless drivers installed from floppy at F6 prompt"

thumb (pen) drives will only work if you format the drive as a floppy image first, you would be better off with a USB floppy.

the other way to do it is to slipstream the XP CD with the SATA drivers using nlite click here

Before you go to all that bother something to try first is to change SATA mode RAID to SATA mode IDE in the Bios setup.

then see if XP CD can see the drive

weemacs 10:57 23 Oct 09

cant see how to change the sata mode to ide in bios setup. The best I can see is in device config in bios is to disable the sata but that has not worked

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced