cant find hard drive

postie 20:03 06 May 03

I an trying to install a 40GB harddrive but my computer wont recognise it any help
postie

doug1234 20:20 06 May 03

make sure the jumpers are set correctly and check all connections.

eccomputers 22:12 06 May 03

have you checked the bios? it may not be set to auto and is still trying to use the old configuration.
Obviously if you just stick a 40gig drive into the notebook then you wont be able to access it. Have you partitioned it and formatted it?

woodchip 22:18 06 May 03

How old your computer the bios may not recognise the size

postie 23:08 07 May 03

Jumpers have been checked they are ok
ive reset the BIOS to user , auto,and some other but still no joy
now thats sometthing i never thought of i didnt realise that age had anything to do with it I'll check up on that one
thanks for the input postie

woodchip 12:09 08 May 03

If it's a very old computer BIOS may not support it. In which case you have one of two options update bios, or use disc overlay software from manufacturers site so it will recognise the full size can you see the drive at the start of your computer in dos screen

woodchip 12:10 08 May 03

PS forgot to say that, in BIOS it should be set to LBA for the drive

postie 22:22 16 May 03

Thanks for all the help and info but woodchip was right my computer is too old for that size of drive thanks to everyone postie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…