Cant find Hard drive

Hello I have just fitted a 2nd hard drive and it is the slave to my old hard drive, I have set the jumpers up so old drive is master new drive is slave, When I go into the bios the new hard drive is recognised but when I start my computer and go into my computer it has my old c drive and cd-rom drive but no new hard drive! Can someone please help?

pj123 15:45 10 Mar 05

Have you Fdisk'd and formatted it?

how can I do that? I bought it from pcworld componant center and it didnt come with any discs, also when I go into device manager it is recognised there

Diemmess 15:53 10 Mar 05

pj123 is probably right on the ball........There is one snag remaining, the method depends on what OS you are using and how large the new HD.

If it works then fine but sometimes it is necessary to download a small piece of (floppy sized) software from the drive manufacturer's website, which can do in seconds what the old DOS routine can take hours to accomplish.

Whichever way you go DO BE SURE you are working on the new HD and not the old! Slow but safe is to have only the new one connected when you do this.

john-232317 15:53 10 Mar 05

Help here click here

Im on windows xp the new drive is a samsung 40gb

ok so anyone know where I can get fdisk program from and is it possible to run that from windows as I dont have a floppy drive?

ventanas 16:09 10 Mar 05

click here= and enter the details of your drive.

ventanas 16:14 10 Mar 05

There are different versions of the setup utility on the Samsung site, so make sure you get the right one.

uisquebeathus 16:15 10 Mar 05

You can go to Control panel,
Admin tools,
Computer management,
disk management,
all your disk/hard drives should show up in the righthand view, the at the top line see Actions and select format for xp to do this for you.
go carefully and make a note of your current hard drives sizes to make sure you are formatting the correct drive or you could format your current drive c and wipe it clean

pk470 16:15 10 Mar 05

Just put a W98 OR WME in the floppy drive choose without cd rom support on the A:\ PROMPT TYPE fdisk.
But i can't see any point doing this as it will format to FAT32 what are you going to use it for?
if you are going to put WXP onto it it will format it for you.
Unless your drive is OEM it should have come with a floppy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…