Can't find dos4gw.exe on shutdown

Ironman556 11:09 08 Feb 03

My computer has suddely started giving me the error message, just after exiting Windows 98 that it can't find C:\Progra~\Creative\SBlive\Dos4gw.exe, press any key to continue. If I press a key, it continues and shuts down fine. If I leave it, it'll continue automatically after a few seconds. I've looked through the directorys and it's in it's place in the right folder. Sound in Windows still works.

I've searched google, but can't find anythign relative, and the forum search won't return me any results either.

Anyone got any ideas? I've tried re-installing the driver update which doesn't do anything to help.

I have installed click here and click here but couldn't get them, to convert midi to wav, as I got an error message which said they couldn't find a file (I think it was for instruments or somthing), so I have uninstalled both again and deleted the folders they left behind.

I don't have much on my system as I've just formatted it and am re-installing things as I go.

It's not a major problem as I hardly ever use DOS, and the PC shuts down ok after the message, it's just annoying.

(Does anyone know of any good free midi to wav or mp3 converters?)

Thanks, Ironman.

Gongoozler 11:18 08 Feb 03

Ironman556, Dos4gw.exe is a dos driver for the soundcard, and for some reason during shutdown Creative soundcards sometimes appear to look for the dos driver. If you disable Legacy Emulation for the sound card under Device Manager in System Properties it may cure the problem. The option is under the Settings tab.

Gongoozler 11:20 08 Feb 03

Ironman556, an alternative approach is to download Dos4gw.exe and paste it into C:\Progra~\Creative\SBlive\. click here

Ironman556 11:22 08 Feb 03

I'll give that a try, and hopefully post back with success.

Ironman556 11:49 08 Feb 03

I've downloaded a version of dos4gw.exe from another site, as there was no link displayed to the file. Replacing the file didn't do anything.

I've disabled SB Creative Emulation 16 in system properties, and that did the trick.

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…