Can't explore disc in XP

Carol Sco 20:35 19 Jul 03

I have been trying all day to get my PC to "read" a disc in the drawer and every time I click explore it shows the contents of my desktop and not the disc.
The machine is reading the label off the disc, it knows the disc is there but I can't get any further.It will not explore any disc at all.
It will play anything that has Auto play but not my data discs. I have attempted to use different types of CD's but nothing works.
The machine is running XP Pro and there are no conflicts in the device manager......any ideas?

madPentium 21:36 19 Jul 03

what are on these data discs?

Firstly is this a rewriter you are using or a cd-rom? If these cds have been written by someone else and are open session it probably cant read
it.
Do the cds work on other machines?

Carol Sco 21:54 19 Jul 03

All the discs were written by me on my main machine and they have pictures and my back up of my web site. All the discs were readable last week when I used the machine.
The diplay tells me what date the disc was made and how many mb's is on there but will not let me go any further. I am at a complete loss of what to do next.

Cesar 10:39 20 Jul 03

Put your windows in the tray, go to start>Run and cut and paste the following: sfc /scannow this will check and repair any Damaged Files that may stop your CD working

Carol Sco 13:15 20 Jul 03

Thanks for the info but I managed to get it working this morning.
It is a "hot swap drive" (I think that is right)I can remove the writter and replace with the dvd rom........well someone had removed the hardware and not done it properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…