Cant edit registry to change home page for IE

Maccyroo 17:52 10 Jul 06

Hope someone knows the answer to this one.....

I cannot change the start page in IE options. It is set to click here. If i change it to google in options menu and click ok it seems alright but as soon as i click on home it takes me back to microsoft.com. On opening options the home page is back as it was before i changed.

Have tried to edit the registry by going to HKEY Current User, Software, Microsoft, Main and editing the start up entry to google but when i click ok get the error message "cannot edit start page, error writing valuse's new contents."

Anyone got any ideas? This is a new OEM windows XP install and have already double checked for viruses or spyware. Am using spybot s&d but have checked this is not locking the IE home page.

any ideas appreciated

cheers maccyroo

zeppman 18:49 10 Jul 06

I'm having same problem only I get redirected to MSN home page.Have done 5 or 6 different scans with nothing showing up .Mine is a new OEM Windows XP Pro like yours.

Maccyroo 21:54 10 Jul 06

sounds like Bill Gates is more insidious than we all thought?

skidzy 21:59 10 Jul 06

Try running Ewido click here

If all else fails run Hijackthis click here and post the log click here here they have the experts to help you resolve this.

Hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…