Can't download XP updates manually.

ralph-226856 19:18 11 Aug 05

When I recently installed XP Pro' I did not create users or passwords and I now find I am not allowed to download updates manually from the Windoiws catalog as a message is displayed that says, Administrator Only.
I am the sole user of the computer, it is not networked.
Any ideas as to how I can get around this problem would be appreciated.Cheers.

VoG II 19:26 11 Aug 05
  Stuartli 20:30 11 Aug 05

Or direct from the Security Bulletin web page:

click here

which also details which apply to your system and the reasons for their inclusion.

ralph-226856 23:54 11 Aug 05

Vog, thanks for the link. When I printed off the instructions I was sure the problem would be sorted if I followed each step, which I did , carefully, but having complted every step I was still presented with theblocking message on the catalog site. See my post below to Stuartli. Thanks for your suggestion.

ralph-226856 00:04 12 Aug 05

Stuartli, Thanks for the link, all the updates were listed and I was able to download them without using Administrator status or passwords.
I'm happy that I got the updates I want, but it still begs the question,why the big difference between the two Microsoft sites? Both sites were accessed from the same computer with the same browser. Having tried Vog's link and failed, I even re-set my Administrator status and password via Safe Mode, but still no joy, wierd! Thanks for your help.

Stuartli 00:07 12 Aug 05

It's a good fall back...:-)

ralph-226856 20:18 14 Aug 05

By accident, I have managed to solve my own problem of not being unable to access the Microsoft Catalog site due to Administrator restrictions.
I was using the free Belarc Advisor program for the first time and noticed it had a feature for checking which Windows updates were needed by your computer. It suggested downloading an ActiveX update also, which I did first, and Bingo, I could now access the catalog site. Hope this might help someone who has the same problem as I did.

Stuartli 20:57 14 Aug 05

Normally the Windows Update site will install the ActiveX control itself before you are able to access the updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…