Cant download - Firewall blocking?

Ridleyrider 13:37 06 Feb 06

I have SP2 & Zone Alarm firewalls. When I try to do downloads (MP3's), it seems to hang in limbo.

Do I need to amend the settings on the firewalls to permit downloads? If so, how do I do this?

Diodorus Siculus 13:42 06 Feb 06

Are you on IE6? Could be a popup stopper - do any messages appear near the top of the browser window?

Ridleyrider 13:57 06 Feb 06

I do use IE6 although I have Yahoo/BT broadband that uses it's own type of browser sometimes. Tthat seems to have a pop up blocker that asks if I want to view anything that pops up in a new window by clicking 'view'. Even though I do this, it still doesn't download properly.

Press Man 14:04 06 Feb 06

You say you have SP2 & Zonealarm firewalls. Do you have both of them active? You should only have one active, if both are active I would turn off SP2 firewall. Could be conflicting with each other?

Diversion 14:14 06 Feb 06

If you are using a program such as Limewire to download your MP3's, make sure Zone Alarm is allowing the program that you are using to access the internet. You may need to alter your Windows firewall settings too to allow the program that you are using access to the internet. And with Zone Alarm you may have to allow Server privileges to the program that you are using.

Ridleyrider 14:23 06 Feb 06

Limewire is fine. It's where I am downloading from a website (studio mixes etc...)

Diversion 14:37 06 Feb 06

If it is a popular site with a lot of users it can be difficult to get a connection at peak times, I get that a lot myself I just keep trying until I get a decent connection and let the connection build itself up from that point.

Ridleyrider 14:49 06 Feb 06

So maybe just a patience thing then?

Diversion 15:04 06 Feb 06

I download about 25GB to 30GB per month and come across this often and I just keep trying. On popular sites it is often 2 or 3 days before I get the decent connect that will build itself up to a good download speed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple