can't download anything from Windows Update ?

scrappy 17:33 21 Feb 03

I cannot download anything from Windows Update site.Have disabled virus scanner and Zone alarm firewall , set security settings to vitually low .I cannot even download the Critical Fix update.The site scans what i need and the download box just freezes.I can remember in the Download program files box in Windows directory there used to something called CV3 icon now i have not got it.Any suggestions anyone?

JoeC 17:44 21 Feb 03

I had the same problem for three weeks. I sent emails to Symantec ( Firewall ) and Microsoft. Both were not able to provide an answer. Eventually, after asking Microsoft repeatedly if a repair of XP might help ( and getting no answer ), I did a repair of XP and that cured the problem. SFC failed to sort it. The cause of my problem appears to have been down to a corrupt file which SFC did not sort out.

Does not help if you are not on XP though !!

polymath 20:52 21 Feb 03

I had this problem for ages, till someone pointed out some more settings in IE. They're in Tools, Internet Options, Security, Custom Level. Having made sure Microsoft is in the Trusted Sites List, I set all the Custom Level settings to Enable/Low Safety, & Logon auto with username & password. My Windows Updates have worked fine since, but I don't think I've tried it with anti-virus software enabled, & I don't use a firewall anyway.

the lone cloner 21:40 21 Feb 03

one way round your problem may be to install updates from a cd rom ie windows xp magazine which carries regular updates,xp sp 1 etc. its also faster than your average download.wish you success.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…