cant disply web page,help!!!!

jimbob61 07:27 10 Nov 07

I use a Acer 1640 laptop with xp sp2. I use a wireless dial up modem on the road t get web access on the road.The modem is on a PCMCIA card which I slot into the laptop, I then put my mobile phone sim card into the PCMCIA card.I use a software card "mobile Phone tools",which came with the card. I can then connect the net via my mobile phone provider, Orange. My problem s this, I connect to the net OK, no problem, I get the TV icons flashing in the bottom left of my screen and the status tells me there is data being sent and recieved, its just that I can not get any web page to be displayed. When I try and get the page up it just comes up and says that the server is unavailable. I use the laptop wirelessly at home no problem, and I can use the card on another laptop with out any problem, so I know that its not the card or the software, and I can only deduce that its something on the Acer when recieving the net on the dial up card, that causing the problem. I am getting a good signal for the card from my Mobile phone supplier and I cleared the cookies and history out, and also checked the setting`s, bt all to no avail.
Can some one out there geve me some idea of what the problem might be. this has always worked up to quite recently.

Technotiger 08:13 10 Nov 07

Hmm, if it was working ok up until very recently, have you tried the first line-of-defence ... System Restore back to when all was ok?

jimbob61 11:19 10 Nov 07

yes tried syst restore,no joy

Technotiger 11:24 10 Nov 07

Try running Ccleaner click here and also check on-line security settings are not set too high.

Otherwise, perhaps the problem is with Orange - but afraid I am only guessing.

chris05 11:35 10 Nov 07

Sounds a little crazy :-) if you the card works on another laptop it stands to reason (as you said) it has to be something on your system, have you installed anything of late that you can remember? if so get rid, have you tried de-installing all software and drivers and any connections created and staring the installation of the card from scratch? if not give that a whirl maybe it will set things right.

jimbob61 12:12 10 Nov 07

thanks chris05 & technotiger, but I have uninstalling and then re installing the software, but I will D/check internet security settings. i think if the problem was with orange then the card would not work on the other laptop. the other laptop is an old Toshiba about 8 years old. i have tried compairing files & folders in the registry but just thingying in the dark.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017