can't detect harddrive.

ss6c 20:44 14 Oct 10

Hi.
My sons Packard Bell laptop stopped working. It would boot to the bios and then say no operating system was detected.
I thought it might be the hard drive. This seemed to be confirmed as I loaded a disc of fedora linux. It threw up a warning that the hard disc was faulty.

I bought a new hard disc and inserted it. I tried to reload XP from a Cd. The laptop was Vista but I do not have a Vista program. It said that it was loading files.

It got to screen which said to set up press enter. I did so and got message "Setup did not find any hard disc drives installed in your computer". The disc seems to be noted in the bios and again the fedora OS appeared to be aware of the disc and did not show any warnings although I did not try and install it.

I thought I was doing well up to that point but I have reached the limits of my limited expertise.

Can anybody offer any help.

Thanks.

gaucho. 21:56 14 Oct 10

if it is. You may have to get the motherboard drivers so XP can see the hard drive.

Model number of the PB laptop.

STREETWORK 21:56 14 Oct 10

Open the computer and check all the cables are plugged in correctly...

Post Back

gaucho. 21:57 14 Oct 10

hard drive is plugged in correctly as the bios and linux can see it.

ss6c 22:15 14 Oct 10

The hard drive is a sata drive. The model is Packard bell easynote sb88-p-007.

I am not exactly clear what you mean gaucho. The old drive and the new drive are both SATA. Do you mean that the new drive needs new drivers? I can understand that but I don't know how they can be loaded if there is no OS?

Thanks for all your responses.

gaucho. 22:21 14 Oct 10

The packard bell recovery disk and Vista contain motherboard drivers for a SATA hard drive.

The XP operating system disk contains very few SATA drivers for a motherboard.

So to load XP on the computer. You need to get the drivers from the PB web site, if they are any. Then when windows XP loads, you get a screen that says to load SATA drivers press F6. You do that and then load the drivers, later.

ss6c 22:40 14 Oct 10

Aha, I sort of follow that Gaucho. However I assume I get the drivers from the PB website on another computer. How do I then load the drivers on the mother board?

I think there may be recovery discs for the computer. I will dig them out. see if they work. I did not think they would as there was of course no OS to recover.

gaucho. 22:48 14 Oct 10

Download the drivers to a usb pen drive. Windows will ask you to load them as it installs windows.

ss6c 10:19 15 Oct 10

Thanks gaucho I will try that.

I did try the recovery discs made when the computer first bought.
It went like this:
Windows is loading files.
A bar is seen loading to about half way.
Error, set HDD letter
Error, set back up letter
pop up saying- not enough space on disc.
Insert disc 2 to continue.
Disc 2 inserted, some whirring then nothing even though left all night.

Thank you for responding.

james105051 18:36 15 Oct 10

From memory of my times with a PB machine, the original HD had a "tattoo" on them which allowed the recovery disc's to work, if a new HD is installed without this "tattoo" the recovery disc's won't work. I resolved this by buying and installing a retail copy of WXP, which installed without any problems.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:45 15 Oct 10

How to transfer "tattoo" to new drive so recovery CDs work

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…