cant delete a zip file

willhay 07:21 26 Apr 03

I recentley downloaded a zip file, it wasnt what i want so i tried to delete it, the pc came up with "cannot delete another program is using the file", it wasnt being used as i had'nt even tried to open it. I shut down the comp and when it had rebooted it let me delete it. This has happened a few times in the past, it isn't a problem more an annoyance, any reason why this happens and how to overcome it in the future, using XP PRO

AndySD 07:53 26 Apr 03

Try going Start/Run type in

msconfig

and click OK. Choose the Startup tab and untick Winzip...Reboot the PC

Can you now delete the file?

willhay 07:56 26 Apr 03

i dont use winzip, i used power archiver have trid what you said and there are no archive progs in the start up tab

AndySD 08:12 26 Apr 03

I havent used power archiver but try Starting it and in Configuration look to see if it starts/loads when windows starts if so can you stop it doing this? Also see if power archiver unpacks the file to Windows Temp Folder... go there and delete it and try deleting the file.

If not try from safe mode.....

1.Start the computer. The computer begins processing a set of instructions known as the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS). What is displayed depends on the BIOS manufacturer. Some computers display a progress bar that refers to the word BIOS, while others may not display any indication that this process is happening.

2. As soon as the BIOS has finished loading, begin tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. Continue to do so until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears.

NOTE: If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers will generate a "keyboard error" message. Please restart and try again.

3. Using the arrow keys on the keyboard, scroll to and select the Safe mode menu item, and then press Enter.

leo49 11:59 26 Apr 03

I've recently been auditioning XP Pro and I've noticed this tendency[especially with downloaded and zipped files].It seems XP likes to lovingly linger and is reluctant to release dealt with files for further disposal citing this bogus excuse.I just leave them a couple of minutes until XP and the files have said their farewells and then bring the chopper down.I'm agreed it's an unnecessary irritant.

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…