Can't delete a virus!!!

Revi 10:03 09 Sep 03

NAV has detected a virus in my PC. Obeject name: C:\WINNT\system32\Win.exe. Virus name: Backdoor.Sdbot. Action taken by NAV: Access to the file was denied.

I have tried running NAV scan but NAV can neither delete or quarantine this virus. What do I do? Everytime I run my PC the virus alert keeps menacingly propping up at the top of the screen!

Jester2K II 10:08 09 Sep 03

Boot into safe mode and then delete the file manually.

Then rescan with NAV.

I don't know Anti Virus that can't delete a virus? Bit like the McAfee AV i saw last night that didn't detect a virus until i specifically asked it to scan the suspicious exe - even though it started with the PC and had been then for a while.

Revi 10:11 09 Sep 03

I use Win2K. How to enter safe mode in W2K?

Jester2K II 10:13 09 Sep 03

On boot up after the BIOS does its bit usually start tapping F8 key about once a second until menu comes up.

Revi 10:19 09 Sep 03

I've restarted Win2K in safe mode. Then what? Pls give me the next step!

Jester2K II 10:20 09 Sep 03

Find the file C:\WINNT\system32\Win.exe right click and delete it.

Run your AV scan again.

If clear, reboot.

Revi 10:26 09 Sep 03

But I want to delete only the virus Backdoor.Sdbot and not the whole of C:\WINNT\system32\Win.exe ! I am confused!

Jester2K II 10:34 09 Sep 03

Whilst Win.exe is a seemingly valid name i'm sure that this is the virus and not an infected file.

Scan the file with NAV first (still in safe mode)

Jester2K II 10:35 09 Sep 03

click here

This program will locate and remove it.

Revi 10:39 09 Sep 03

Will try both. Would take some time. Will revert later!

Jester2K II 10:41 09 Sep 03

You can get both programs to scan just the folder or the file at first. Do a complete scan after.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…