Can't delete a program.

Kirbster 04:47 24 Feb 04

I downloaded a program with kazaa, supposedly a game, It didn't work. If I try to delete it, I just get the message 'Cannot delete the file. It is being used by another person or program'

I'm familiar with this message but in this case it shouldn't be running from startup and there are no obvious signs that it is except for that prompt and can't see where it is running, what is using it or disable it.

How do I identify what it is running as to disable it and delete it?

the Rascal 04:56 24 Feb 04

Try startin your pc in "Safe mode" and see if you can delete it then
Regards dave

Kirbster 05:11 24 Feb 04

Still wouldn't delete in safe mode. Any other ideas?

fghjk 05:13 24 Feb 04

could be a virus?

bananaslik 08:21 24 Feb 04

if you have d/loaded it with kazaa it could be kazaa that is using it.remove kazaa & then you should b able to remove the game.

Kirbster 09:43 24 Feb 04

Took off kazaa but it still wouldn't delete!?!

Legolas 10:17 24 Feb 04

download and run adaware click here and spybot s&d click here then try again to remove the program.

Clint2 10:28 24 Feb 04

Uninstall
I use this method, kindly published on this site by an expert whose name I cannot recall, it works for me. Windows Add/Remove uses the application's own uninstaller if one is available, so there's nothing wrong with heading directly for that immediately. All ways leave much behind, and I always clear out everything afterwards with Find and Regedit Find, which it's perfectly safe to do. I've cleared literally hundreds of programs in this way and never once experienced a problem. Always remember that Windows keeps five days of registry backups in store anyway. So called Registry cleaners like Regcleaner etc are also useless in this respect, since they ALL without exception fail to even recognise that these leftovers are in the registry. Here's a general guide to clearing out the "bits". The following includes safety procedures. First carry out any available backup procedures that you have available. With Windows ME or XP, create a Restore Point. Click Find, Files and Folders, type the application name into the dialogue box and press Enter. Then from the list found, make sure of the identity of each item individually and delete any components found to the recycle bin so you can recover from there in the event of any trouble. If the item you're looking for has a double name, put a question mark in place of the space, for example Hewlett?Packard. This will restrict the items found mainly to those relevant. Then click Start,Run,type: regedit , and press Enter. Click Registry, Export, select All, and save a registry copy to the desktop as a safeguard. Then, still in the Registry Editor click Edit,Find. Enter the application name in the dialogue box and click Find. There is no need for the question mark with double names in registry find. With any element found highlighted, press Del on your keyboard to delete it. Then press F3 to find next, and if anything is found, repeat the delete/F3 sequence until all references are gone. Then exit regedit. Together with the deletions in Find, this should clear out most of the components from your computer. In the unlikely event of any registry trouble, right click the desktop registry backup that you made and select Merge. It will merge back into the registry undoing your changes. Otherwise, when you are certain all is well, you can delete the registry desktop backup.

temp003 11:36 24 Feb 04

Download Process Explorer click here and scroll down to the bottom of the page, and use it to find out which program or process is using the file(s) (the handler). Then use Task Manage to terminate the handler, then delete the files.

Kirbster 19:20 24 Feb 04

And the prize goes to...temp003.
Just used process explorer to change priveleges to the program.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…