Can't Delete Printer.

wetterfugal 18:23 23 Jan 03
  wetterfugal 18:23 23 Jan 03

I am trying to install my Lexmark 1020 printer which worked OK under win98 on my other computer but I can't install it on this one under winXP.

I can not delete the previous attempt to install and I still have the new XP drivers installed. I have done a fresh download of the drivers for XP and wish to start afresh.

I have tried to delete the printer under "Printers and Faxes/delete" and also from "Server Properties/Drivers/remove but I am told that the printer is being used by another program.

I have shutdown then restarted but I still get the same result. There are no other programmes running. The only thought I have is that I am logged on as administrator with a password and maybe I am not set up to access the printer deletion. I have actually carried out the procedure yesterday and managed to delete them OK but today I can't.

One more thing, I shutdown the 'puter last night and did not switch off the mains power. This morning I found that it was switched on and waiting for my password on the log in screen, I think that maybe the power management needs setting up, I also found that Norton Works 2003 antivirus tries to dial out even though I am on line. Well that’s the full story, anyone any ideas?

Vic A.

€dstow 18:25 23 Jan 03

Can you do a System Restore to a time before this catalogue of events happened?

€d

wetterfugal 18:37 23 Jan 03

No, apart from the fact that I am new to XP and have not explored how. It is a fist for the printer installation which has not yet worked.

I downloaded the correct drivers from Lexmark and the printer worked to a certain extent, it would print from notepad but the fonts were all screwed up in Word.

I uninstalled the printer OK and reinstalled. Now it will feed the paper halfway in and stop without printing anything. I think it is driver trouble and I have downloaded the driver one more but I can't get rid of the old driver.s.

Regards, Vic A.

Legolas 20:06 23 Jan 03

You could try starting in safe mode and trying to delete the printer then

wetterfugal 00:17 24 Jan 03

Strange, in safe mode there is no printers installed! I decided to reboot and there still was no sign of the printer icon in control panel. I deleted the folder where Lexmark installed the drivers and then reintalled the fresh download and the printer is now working although the software has a very poor interface, it is very basic and I would have expected it to be at least as good as the win98 drivers.

I shall leave it at that for a while and give it more thought later.

Thanks all. Regards, Vic A.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…