Can't delete folder on desktop

bruntsfield 15:15 PM 29 Aug 12

I created a folder on the desktop (windows XP Pro) but didn't use it. I can delete it but it comes back later. I used a program called "Unlock" - this also deleted it but it still keeps coming back. I can't find the folder in the registry.

john bunyan 15:51 PM 29 Aug 12

Try dragging and dropping into recycle bin, in safe mode if necessary.

bruntsfield 15:57 PM 29 Aug 12

John Bunyan

Tried that. Also tried File Assasin within Malwarebytes but that seems to work only with files, not folders.

difarn 16:10 PM 29 Aug 12

You could try:-

Creating a new folder on your desktop but don't name it. Drag the other folder into it and then delete the new folder.

Click Start>Run then type the command chkdsk. It will run the checkdisk utility and will fix the folder. Once the checkdisk utility is done, delete the folder.

Also saw this on a forum:-

Create a new folder, don't rename it. Drag it into the folder that won't delete. This should create a copy of the folder that wouldn't delete and should place it on the desktop.Delete the problematic folder first, then create another new folder and drag it into the copied folder. Delete the new copied folder.

woodchip 17:40 PM 29 Aug 12

Right click the Folder/Properties see what the settings are for it. these will need changing to get rid of it. You may need to use Admin Rights also as its XP Pro

john bunyan 20:08 PM 29 Aug 12

Unlocker is good if you get "Access denied" type messages. May be worth trying it for your folder. (Free) here Unlocker

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…