Cant defrag -scan disk problem

Bevlee 12:47 12 Aug 04

Windows me
When I try to defrag it says I must run scan disk
Scan disk shows a error that cant be fixed--
ScanDisk was unable to correct this error because there is already a file or folder named 'Play Scrabble online, email scrabble, Correspondence Scrabble, interactive play, scrabble board, scrabble on-line, scrabble game with chat room, scra_.url' in the top-level folder of this drive. To repair this error, quit ScanDisk by clicking Cancel, rename the folder in the top-level folder, and then restart ScanDisk. To continue checking your disk without repairing this error, click OK
I went to search-found scrabble--clicked rename-no luck
I havent a clue what to do
Help please
Thanks in advance

Chegs ® 13:00 12 Aug 04

Err Msg: ScanDisk Was Unable to Finish Correcting This...:
click here;en-us;Q149432

*** OK there are two reasons for the error according to MS, ie file paths longer than 259 characters and/or corrupt IE Internet cache.

As I recall there is a third reason as well as one may see [a similar sounding] error on win95 and win98 PCs, ie too many files in the root directory C:\

In other words there appears to be a limit of 512 entries in the root directory on older windows systems. Long file names take up more entries so if you have long file names in root then the number of files "allowed" there will be less than 512. If you come across an older system you may see hundreds of *.chk files in root which are generated by running scandisk. These same files may cause scandisk to stop working on such systems until you delete them.

Which makes perfect sense since scandisk saves its *.chk files to the root folder, and if its full, scandisk has no place to put them so it balks.

From here click here about halfway down page.

Chegs ® 13:02 12 Aug 04

The M$ link didn't work out,so click here

Chegs ® 13:05 12 Aug 04

Grrr! Just went to the M$ site and got this message "The page you were looking for is currently not available. The address may not be correct, or there may be a temporary problem with this site."

Bevlee 13:31 12 Aug 04

sigh

sigh

sigh

Chegs ® 13:56 12 Aug 04

Try search for *.chk,if it finds loads delete a few,until you have less than 512.Also,look in them for scrabble.chk files(as scrabble seems to be the offending entries)and delete those too.

Here is the M$ page referred to above click here

Bevlee 16:37 12 Aug 04

Ill give that a try
Bevlee

Bevlee 18:19 12 Aug 04

With your help I finally got rid of that file
On the road again----thx
Bevlee

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…