can't defrag my 'c' drive

Newuser4654 19:24 30 Mar 03

I hope someone out there can HELP!!
I am operating Windows ME. When I try to defrag the c drive I'm told 'drive's contents changed - restarting'.
It has got as far as 11% complete before showing this message.
Can anyone offer any advice please?

spikeychris 19:28 30 Mar 03

Continuously hit F5 whilst your machine is booting up and it will go into safe mode. Defrag from there.

Chris

anchor 19:38 30 Mar 03

Yes, if you do it in safe mode, you won`t have that problem.

I usually press F8 during boot up to access safe mode.

Lozzy 19:40 30 Mar 03

Better still use Diskeeper Lite to defrag your system its by far better than Win ME's own defragmenter and its free.. click here

spikeychris 19:41 30 Mar 03

F5 takes you straight in F8 tends to give you a menu, still works though as you say anchor.

Chris

Pesala 19:41 30 Mar 03

Diskeeper Lite (10,005 K) click here Defragmentation program that will run in the background, and completes the task more quickly.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:41 30 Mar 03

click here and download 'enditall'. A great,free app. that will close down everything that is not needed. They will all restart when you reboot.

G

dcarr 20:22 30 Mar 03

All of the above are great options. The problem occurs because there are programs running in the background, even if you are using nothing. If you can't get any of the above. Use ctrl/alt/del to start the task manager and close everything except explorer and systray. Then begin your defrag and things should go smoothly.

Russ100 22:06 30 Mar 03

Deactivate your screensaver if you've got one running. Th screensaver makes the defrag restart when it kicks in.

Newuser4654 09:29 31 Mar 03

Many thanks for all the advice. I downloaded Diskeeper Lite and it sorted me out.
Again THANK YOU!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac