Can't defrag

curlylad 10:17 27 May 04

A friend has winxp , every time he tries to defrag the defrag window opens for a few seconds and then closes so after having his PC for over 6 months he hasn't been able to defrag at all.He has no other obvious problems , please advise.

MichelleC 11:25 27 May 04

If he's done a scannow try error-checking hd 1st. There's a good free defrag Diskeeper Lite click here

Graham ® 11:28 27 May 04

If he is trying the 'Programs' route to defrag, try this route. My Computer, right click on C drive, Properties, Tools. That will give options for Error checking and Defrag.

Stormpool 11:52 27 May 04

Boot PC - Tap F8 during bootup

Advance Start Menu - Choose Safe mode

It's recommended to run it in safe mode anyway, as in normal mode the hard drive contents will be constantly changing due to background activity

Timmy!! 12:45 27 May 04

If he has a Anti Virus program running he should disable that too.

curlylad 10:04 28 May 04

Timmy!! I'll ask him to try your idea.

Stormpool He's tried that already but thanks.

Graham ® Again , he's also tried this , thanks.

MichelleC I'll pass on your link , thanks.Oh and by the way, nice forum photo , wadaya think of my fish ?

Alebe 22:53 30 May 04

If your friend has AVG and Popup-stopper, right click and disable them and then try defragment. Both will restart as normal after shutdown and booting up again. Interesting to see what does work.

curlylad 17:56 01 Jun 04

Sorry I haven't returned to answer this , my friend has the information as supplied by you all and says he will get back to me , so when he does I will let you know the result.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:13 01 Jun 04

Use this free programme and your defrag will be OK.... click here
G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…