Cant Copy WIN386 File for new HD

Kitz E Kat 16:22 12 Apr 03

Hi i read an article in PC Advisor awhile ago, about how to swap the contents of a HD to a larger one, IE. Connect second drive as slave in explorer drag all files( inc. Hidden ones) to drive D, remove you C drive and make D the master one ie. C, then boot of a floppy and SYS C: . I did this in WIN 95 and it worked a treat, however i am now trying this same procedure in 98. When i copy the files from C to D i get a Msg saying, cant copy WIN386. If i proceed the new drive will not boot up. Ive tried to copy WIN386, which seems to be a SWP file without success, i tried to copy of the CD but its not on it. Any ideas, cos im all out!!!!

Rtus 16:28 12 Apr 03

You may find that all you have to do is Set the partition as Active ..use fdisk from the w98 startup disk. Use the options to set the drive active and reboot.always asuming youve reset the D drive jumpers to Master and selected it as such in the bios.

DieSse 16:30 12 Apr 03

Not only don't you need to copy this file, you musn't copy it. it's the Windows swap file - a new one for the new drive will be created when windows starts.

DieSse 17:01 12 Apr 03

PS - before you try and copy the files across, you must unhide all hidden and system files, otherwise you will not even see them to copy them - and the new disk will not work.

Kitz E Kat 21:21 12 Apr 03

Thanks for your help.
The partition is set as active, the jumpers are set as master, the BIOS is set for master,and yeah i did think that i might not have to copy WIN386, as i said its not on the CD. So now What?When i try to boot the WIN logo Screen pops up for a flash and then.. Gone... to be replaced with a command prompt, as i said i did thesame procedure with 95 and no problem, using exactly the same procedure, the only difference this time ( with 98) is the WIN386 file, so that's what led me to think this was the prob. ODD

pj123 23:05 12 Apr 03

I think what you want to do is: put the larger drive in as a slave drive D: (make sure it is formatted first) then boot your PC and when you get to the desktop go to START, RUN and type in xcopy c:*.* /e/h/k/r/c d: and press enter. When that has finished shutdown and remove the C: drive and make the D: drive the master and reboot.

don't forget to go into the BIOS and detect the new Hard Disk first.

DieSse 08:30 13 Apr 03

As has been said before - xcopy has a fatal flaw in the way it handles long file names - and so shouldn't be used for cloning hard drives. Look here and it will tell you why, and also what else you can use.

click here

pj123 13:18 13 Apr 03

DieSse I think you are being slightly paranoid here. I have been using xcopy to set up every PC that I sell with no problems at all over the past 2-3 years. All buyers have two options when they buy. 1. They buy the Computer with Windows CD, manual and licence or 2. they buy the computer with Win 98SE licence only (no CD or manual). This is Windows 98SE only. I have not had one callout on any computer yet. I did check your link but that just seems to be one other persons opinion.

david4637 14:21 13 Apr 03

XCOPY WILL NOT COPY WINDOWS FILES that are open, therefore DON'T USE it, use xxCOPY. David

DieSse 15:06 13 Apr 03

Read it again please - it's not an opinion, it's clearly demonstrated what the flaw is.

DieSse 15:07 13 Apr 03

PS - and it does give alternatives that do not suffer from the problem (which MS agree is a problem!).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…