Can't copy file to dvd disk

Desperate-Dan 12:35 08 Nov 07

Hi, I downloaded a vegas 7 from online, so I don't have a disk, I tried to copy the program to a dvd disk because I want to reformat the hdd,
but when I try to copy the file I only seem to be able to copy the shortcut, I'm using nero 6, winxp

Totally-braindead 12:48 08 Nov 07

Don't know what a vegas 7 is but is the file you are trying to backup the file you originally downloaded or is it the program which has been installed.
The original download should be easy to backup but if its the program which has been installed you might have a problem as when you install it it doesn't just install to program files it can also depending on the program add stuff to the registry etc.
You could try backing up the file if you goto program files and back that up but theres no guarantee that will be the entire program.
It sounds to me like you are just trying to copy the icon on the desktop and that is only the shortcut as you say, adding this will not back up the program you need to find where it is installed.

Desperate-Dan 12:55 08 Nov 07

vegas 7 is a video editing program, yes its the originall file I think I just want put the program onto a dvd or cd so I can reinstall it after I format the hdd

Totally-braindead 13:13 08 Nov 07

Are you sure its the original file that you are trying to backup and not the shortcut on the desktop that is created when you install the program?
Perhaps the original file is in My Documents for example.
I have not come across a program that I could not backup from the original download before.
Can you not download it again as I presume to activate it you were given a serial number or whatever?

Technotiger 13:13 08 Nov 07

Why not just download it again, then keep the downloaded file in a Downloads folder, without installing it. Then you can install it again later when you are ready.

Pineman100 13:14 08 Nov 07

As Totally-braindead said, have you still got the compressed download file, that you ran to install the program? That's the critical thing.

If so, you should be able to copy this file easily on to a CD, DVD or USB drive.

Then, after your reformat, copy the file back on to your HDD and run it. This will reinstall the program.

If you haven't got the original download file, you'll need to download it again.

Technotiger 13:15 08 Nov 07

Or, better still, just do your formatting and then download it again.

Pineman100 13:15 08 Nov 07

...I was typing while you posted!

Desperate-Dan 13:20 08 Nov 07

can you tell me where to look for the original file

Totally-braindead 13:20 08 Nov 07

Thats OK Pineman its usually me thats the slower one.

Totally-braindead 13:23 08 Nov 07

It depends, simplist way to find out is to try downloading a file, any file but see where it sends it if you know what I mean. You don't actually have to download it as you can click cancel but go though the motions and see where it proposes to save it.
I think the default download location is My Documents but you might have changed it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009