Can't convert from FAT32 to NTFS

VernonTurner 16:44 04 Sep 04

Elderly dummy here. Have followed to the letter the 'should be straightforward process' of conversion of a brand new external HD from FAT32 to NTFS. Just want to back up my main HD (7gb) to the external drive. Without the 4gb limit of FAT32. Keep getting the message 'Windows found errors on this disk but will not fix them because disk checking was run without the /F (fix) parameter. Convert lost chains to files (Y/N)'
Brand new external hard drive. 160 gb showing on properties. Still resolutely labelled as FAT32 despite several conversion attempts. Will reformatting it help? Thanks in advance for advice.

VoG II 16:54 04 Sep 04

Original thread click here

Open My Computer, Right click on the new drive, select Properties. On the Tools Tab, click the Check Now button to scan the drive for errors. At the next screen tick the boxes to automatically fix errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

This will take a while to run...

VernonTurner 17:06 04 Sep 04

Thank you! Just trying to backup Main drive 'C'. which is NTFS, back on to Drive 'C' and then attempt to save backup to new drive 'E'. Slow route I know but if it works at least a backup. Then back to dealing with Drive E. Appreciate your advice very much.

smokingbeagle 17:13 04 Sep 04

If it is the ALDI/Gericom hard drive then
click here

VernonTurner 17:29 04 Sep 04

Yep, it is an Aldi/Gericom drive. Thank you very much. Checking now.

spikeychris 17:32 04 Sep 04

Just replied to original thread before seeing this. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…